Monday, June 23, 2008

My first week in Weill

The first week in medical school is definately an exciting experience for me. Overwhelmed by tons of new terms and maze-like buiding, I was so happy that survived the first week.

First, I need to thank my mentor Dr. Martin Prince, who is a super nice genius radiologist, with super patience. On the first hectic day in medical school, he gave me a book "MRI, from picture to proton" as present. Though until now, I have just finished 5 chapters, it is really a good book for a freshman in MRI. Even if I still cannot understand part of his comment when he is reading films, at least I won't be scared away by the terms in MRI right now. I also need to thank him for tolerating my bad vocabulary in anatomy. Somehow, I was really ashamed of myself for this because I am actually a bio background person. For a moment I really hoped all the text books in my undergraduate were in English, so that I would not feel so mad sometimes that I knew some anatomy terms in Chinese but don't know how to say them in English. However, no matter how busy Dr. Prince is, he is always very patient to my bad English, which helps a lot to get back my confidence.

Since I have such super good mentor and the chance to be bustling here and there with him, I learned more about the world of medical school than I expected. Watching the whole process of MRI scanning, biopsy, case meeting, facing patients, hearing all kinds of stories happened here and even attending the administration meeting of MRI department really taught me a lot on how different the hospital system is from graduate school. Medical school is a distinctive world that the ultimate respect and indifference for human life both exist. Yes, here is the place full of "common God".

Last, I was told the project I was going to do last week. It was definitely not my specialty, but I like challenge. I will basically start to work on my project this week and hopefully I can talk about some details about it next week.

Welcome back, Goose! Hope all of you enjoy your immersion this week and every day in NYC is full of friends, fun and wonderful experience. And I think all my wishes made on my birthday should come true~

No comments: