Monday, June 23, 2008

Wasting Time Always

So, after 1 week here, I've basically found out that Weill is about bureaucracy. I had to wait in line for an hour for an ID that I never even got (how is this course so badly organized when the people in charge had a year to prepare?). After that, my clinician's secretary made me fill out what felt like stacks of forms. Don't even get me started on the nonsense that ITS pulled with me.

But, in the end, I got to meet my clinician, Dr. Healey, and everything looks promising so far. I will be undertaking a case study in the radiological profiles of the proximal femur of bone metastases patients. This coincides with my research interests (i.e. bone metastasis), but it gives me an opportunity to see it from a different place. The radiology study is cool, because I will get to investigate the blastic vs. lytic phenotypes of different cancers, which I have read about extensively since starting my PhD but have never actually seen. Essentially, I'll be collecting data that provides insight into how and where bone metastases tend to strike. Other stuff that I will see include orthopedic surgeries (specifically involving removal or bone cancers - primary or metastases) and micrographs that relate to bone biology.

That's about all for now. I won't bore anybody with random details of my quotidian pursuits, but I will say that NYC is fun to be in right now. To conclude: capital letters are good.

No comments: