Monday, July 7, 2008

Week 3: Research and Exploration

This past week, I started working on a project for Jonathan. First, we needed to upload all the data we were going to use in the study, so I entered the workstation every three or four hours to transfer files from the central server to the specific workstation we use.

One study will examine the left ventricle volume at different cardiac phases, and look for correlations between the data obtained and the physiological condition of the data set. This will be interesting, because there is potential for a new diagnostic method using the segmentation software we have.

I also got to randomly explore the hospital a bit, and talked in details about the med school curriculum with some med school and MD/PhD students one afternoon. It was very interesting to hear how the 1st and 2nd year curriculum are intense with memorization and regurgitation; in a way, it was making me feel more comfortable pursuing a graduate PhD degree in BME as opposed to the MD in medicine.

The Fourth of July weekend was awesome; I joined a reunion with my college friends, and we saw the fireworks from the front row at South Street Seaport. We had to wait from 5 for the best seats, and the fireworks began past 9 pm. It was really great. I also went to Broadway with some friends, and saw the Musical, Rent; I'd recommend seeing it!

No comments: