Monday, July 7, 2008

Conglomeration of Experiences

So I’ve been pretty specific and detail oriented with my last two blogs. The reality is, I’ve seen and learned a lot! In all actuality, there’s much more going on than I could write in this one weekly blog without it being insanely long. But this week I’m attempting to write more on the variety of my experiences.

First of all, I’ve started my research project with Dr. Scherr. I’ll be helping to do statistical analysis of robotic cystectomy cases that have been recorded over the past year. What I may not have mentioned before is that while robotic prostatectomies are becoming more and more routine, robotic cystectomies are rarer. This report will compare not only differences of pre-op criteria influencing procedure outcome (such as stage influencing recurrence or complications) but also compare the results of robotic versus open cystectomies.

Additionally, I’ve had the opportunity to visit other surgeons and have seen a mastectomy with temporary implant and skin flap, a living donor renal transplant and a laser TURP (trans-urethral resection of prostate) by photoselective vaporization of the prostate (PVP). As well, I’ve attended two lectures on why doctors should and how doctors can participate in clinical trials and hope to round within some of the clinical trial physicians. Finally I’ve visited the NICU and attended an M&M there.

With all of this variety in mind, I’ve been overwhelmed by the process of it all. To be honest, I often find myself engrossed in observing a person rather than paying attention to the information being relayed at the moment. For example, it’s very interesting to watch a surgeon’s face as they feel for the location of an artery or listen to a patient relay their history or current status of pain. As well it can be somewhat disturbing to watch a person under local or general anesthesia naturally flinch or grimace in response to the life saving work that is being done on them. There is so much information to balance and take-in, at times it can all be overwhelming.

I have thoroughly enjoyed two things specifically though. One is a branch of thought from what Goose had posted early on: being an engineer in a hospital. It’s been stimulating and challenging to think of the technical ways engineering has truly aided modern medicine. This has ranged from a more basic metal hinge and bracket system to hold open a cavity during surgery to the precision of interfacing a surgeon with magnified view and the robotic miniscule movements translated from the surgeon’s hand motions. At the same time, there are always improvements to be made and while it’s one thing to dream things up, it’s quite another to implement them and convince surgeons of the improvements. Secondly I’ve really appreciated seeing patients in post-op. The residents were baffled as to why I would want to do rounds if I didn’t have to, but it definitely made the reality of surgery more vivid for me. I had met patients in diagnosis and pre-op consultation in the clinic before. As well, I had seen patients 3 weeks or 3 years after surgery, but to see a patient recovering, surrounded by their family is a whole new experience.

No comments: