Monday, June 30, 2008

What have I learned after 2 weeks?

Seeing the way that physicians work firsthand has been a pretty cool experience. Just this week I witnessed a tumor board conference that was focused on diagnosing patients. Not as simple as you might imagine, it turns out. I work in an orthopedic department, so all of the cases in question are centered on bone. The initial tests are all x-rays, and the physicians must be able to spot the smallest abnormalities in these scans. After a while, you start to notice the things that they do, but everything is very subtle. Clearly the consequences of missing these "subtleties" are dire, so that gives me an appreciation in the meticulousness that these people must undertake everything with.

When tumors arise on bone, they are most likely metastases (~100,000 cases/year). Less often, sarcomas, or primary bone tumors are seen (~1000 case/year). Even so, when diagnosing these cases, it is important to distinguish as the appropriate treatment strategy varies. Even for sarcomas, there are a wide range of types depending on which cell type is transformed (osteocytes, chodrocytes, and even giant cells are among the possibilities). Some of these tumors are radiation-resistant, which obviously affects how you might treat it. What I have seen is very pertinent to my research clearly. For one thing, it kind of humanizes the problem, as I am not just looking at cells anymore. For another, it shows me where my research fits into the overriding picture of combating cancer. Using that as segue, I think that one broad thing that this immersion term teaches us is that we as engineers must shape the future. While physicians do their best with what they have, it is us who provides the tools. As we look to the future of disease in general, we are the ones that hold the keys to a better outlook. This experience has shown us the current SOTA- it is up to us to turn art to science and solid cures.

On a closing note, I must say that seeing the NY Philharmonic live in Central Park was a great experience. Enjoying the performance from the Belvedere Tower was the way to go. It was so cool, calm, uncrowded up there, and we could really hear the beautiful music. I almost feel bad for all those that were cooped up on a blanket in the midst of all the extra noise on the Great Lawn. Definitely one of my NYC moments of the past week!

No comments: