Tuesday, June 24, 2008

First Week of Immersion

My first week at Weill started off a bit slow, but things are picking up. As usual when moving to a new place, dealing with administrative details leaves a person walking in circles and scratching their head for a good chunk of the day. The first day at Weill was no exception. It began with ID card confusion and proceeded to predictable difficulties with the IT department. But everything ended up working out in the end and now things are going smoothly.

I met with my mentor Dr. Schwartz on Wednesday, and we immediately discussed an image processing/data analysis project. Over the course of the past two years, massive amounts of optical reflectance image data have been accumulated by a graduated med student on exposed rodent cortex. He's since moved on to bigger and better things and nobody else in Schwartz's lab has time to analyze the large amounts of data. That's where I step in. I will be spending the next month and a half working on making sense of gigabytes of video data. The project actually seems pretty interesting and is well-tailored to my background in electrical engineering.

Dr. Schwartz also allowed me into the OR on Thursday to watch him perform two surgeries. The first was reparation of a leaking frontal sinus in an elderly woman, and the second was the removal of a tumor in a young man's spinal column. I'd never seen a surgery before, so I was pretty grossed out initially by the sights/sounds/smells but I eventually got over it. I'm actually looking forward to seeing some more of Dr. Schwartz's surgeries during my stay at Weill.

No comments: